Nitrogen Narcosis

Faster then a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...this is way better than drugs.

Friday, October 22, 2004

Pondering Student Questions

We just got back from a lake trip taking a bunch of new open water diver students for their check out dives so they could become offical open water scuba divers. I love working with students which is why I myself am a student getting my certification for the first level of being a professional. But sometimes I have to scrach my head in bewilderment at some of the questions they ask, even after all the classroom and confined water training they've been through prior to going to large open water for diving.

One girl, as the instructor is expalining about doing a Controlled Emergency Swimming Acent, (this is where an out of air senerio is practiced where the diver must break for the surface if they are out of air and can not get to their buddy to share air) The Instructor explains that he will be holding onto the student so they don't surface to fast and injure themselves, that they are not to take the regulator (the part you breath with) out of their mouth in case they need to take a breath (as this is only a senerio), that the student is to take a deep breath, give the out of air sign and while exhaling all the way to the surface start swimming toward the surface, then once at the surface since you are out of air you must manually inflate your BCD (Buoyancy Control Device) so you will float at the surface. One young lady looks at the instructor and asks in total seriousiness, when we get to the surface and are able to breath should we inhale some air before trying to blow up our BCD???? Okay, maybe it's just me, but common sense is saying if you are exhaling al they way up you probably by law of breathing must inhale when you have no more air in your lungs. But hey...I could be wrong even through I always got straight A's in Science and Health.

Another good one, doing what is called a regulator recovery, this is practiced in case your regulator falls out of your mouth or is accidently kicked out because your wonderful husband loves to swim right in front of you and has a tendiancey to knock his fins into your mouth and dislodge your breathing device. (I know this is accidental cuz I don't have life insurance anymore.) So anyway the student is to take a deep breath on their regulator, take it our of their mouth and toss it behind their shoulder whilst blowing small bubbles (don't want any lung injuries from not breathing) and then recover the regulator, put it back in their mouth, clear it and begin breathing again. Well one guy argued non stop that he was going to have to take a breath once he's tossed the regulator over his shoulder, or else it will be impossible to do the skill. Hmmmmmm I'm thinking to myself and wondering if this guy is listening to what he is saying...one you have the once piece of equipment that allows you to breath underwater out of your mouth...you are in 30, 60 or 100 feet of water and you are insisting that at this point you need to inhale. Well Okay, but if you can breath I'm calling the national enquirer.

Well that's my thoughts for the day, if I get more silly questions I will post them, if you have any plese let me know.


4 Comments:

  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger Burfica said…

    okay I have a silly question. What does it look like when Manny farts underwater in the dives?? Are there little bubbles that float to the surface?? Do other people know where he is at all times from the little bubble trail he leaves?? And most importantly do they smell once they reach the surface??? Are fish dying that are in the line of those bubbles?? Are people passing out that smell them on top?? okay I'll stop I have alot more, but Manny might hate me if I go on and on. hehehehe I WUV YOU BROOOOOOO HEHEHEHEH

     
  • At 10:51 AM, Blogger Alekx said…

    I refuse to smell the little bubbles escaping from his wetsuit to see if they smell.. No dead fish to report however they do tend to vacate the area when his wetsuit puffs out and bubbles start escaping. Anyone ever fart in a wetsuit..it's kind of a thrilling experiance

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Alekx said…

    I am not smelling the little bubbles escaping out of his wetsuit....Just not one of those things that is going to happen in my lifetime.
    No dead fish to report however they do seem to vacate the area when his wetsuit puffs up and bubbles start leaking from the legs, arms and neck openings.
    Anyone ever farted in their wetsuit. It's kind of an erotic experience. :-)

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger Phoenix5 said…

    I don't blame you for sniffing the little bubbles... oh man... too funny! As for farting in a wetsuit being an erotic experience... I'll take your word for it! LMAO

     

Post a Comment

<< Home