Nitrogen Narcosis

Faster then a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...this is way better than drugs.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Hell I have no idea what to post about

....first off for coffeypot. Look at the new profile hahaha
Anyway I'm a police and fire dispatcher as well as an Emergency Medical Dispatcher. What that means is basically I can give pre-arrival (of the paramedics) instructions to the caller and attempt to talk someone through CPR on the phone.

Last week was kind of crazy, and I was just so wore out. Sometimes my job does that to a person. One night while I was working the fire side, we had a house catch fire, and while firefighters were doing their primary search they discovered a victim inside the house. He didn't make it. For me that's one of the bad things to hear on the radio. Mine and Burfica's dad caught on fire when we were young and almost lost his leg. Not that hearing about the deceased was traumatic for me I just don't like that part of the job.

However the next night I was working the police radio, and answered a 911 call as my partner was on another 911 call, and there is a man breathing quite hard with excitement and I hear a lady moaning in the background, he says my wife is having a baby. So I send my partner the call so she can dispatch the paramedics, and start talking to the guy. There was a language barrier plus him being excited, but we got him a bit settled and doing what he was suppose to do. Suddenly between screams from his wife "GET AWAY FROM ME" he yells, I see the head I see the head. So keeping my calm (which is a trait a dispatcher/911 operator must have to remain calm or to at least sound calm no matter what is going on) I start the actual birthing instructions. Then the paramedics got there (it wasn't very long cuz our guys have a great response time) They took over, after awhile one of the medics come on the radio saying Medic blah blah blah transporting code 1 to (hospital name) one patient (((pause....))) and one little guy on board. They delivered in the home approx 5 minutes after they arrived. HOW cool was that. I almost delivered a baby.

So that's some typical work days for myself and my partners, we are all one big team doing what we can. Some days it's exciting on the fire/medic side, some days it's exciting on the police side (car chases, foot chases, blah blah blah) and some days it's exciting on both sides at one time. That's what I like about my job, never the same shit on a different day, always different shit every phone call or radio transmission.

Anyway Coffey, that's what I do in order to pay the bills and to go scuba diving.

Have a great Thursday everyone

13 Comments:

  • At 8:01 AM, Blogger CrystalChick said…

    Hi Alekx! WOW, your job sounds very intense. Some very rewarding days mixed with many others that are surely sad.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I lost the JP video but left the post up anyway. Always nice to get a new visitor!
    Happy Thursday to you too!

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger Burfica said…

    I still like the guy that called 911 wanting you to turn the traffic light green for him.

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger Biddie said…

    You have a very cool job, AND you really make a difference to the people that you help.
    That rocks :)

     
  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger Alekx said…

    Crystal..thanks for coming by yourself. Hope we make it a regular visit

    Burf...I am a traffic light Queen

    Biddie..Thank you so much

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Blogger MomThatsNuts said…

    We had a city council woman here in Arizona (mesa I think) that was calling 911 for DIRECTIONS...lol guess the city couldnt pop for a GPS or MAPQUEST....

    I want to scuba dive except for that whole being under water in a wet suit with sharks and limited air thing...

    Mom

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger Special K said…

    Your job sounds rewarding and exciting, the bad days sound truly bad though but it is good to love what you do!
    I wish I did something as cool as scuba diving but alas, my wildest moments lately involve something inane like scrapbooking or wiping little noses.
    But I like my job! :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog btw!

     
  • At 5:23 AM, Blogger Mia said…

    Sounds like one of those jobs that never have a dull moment. Takes a very patient person to do that.

     
  • At 5:50 AM, Blogger Alekx said…

    Mom....chicken hehehe

    K......I need scrapbooking help. I started a wedding album like 7 years ago. It's still not done. We are married 9 this year.

    Miranda...Nope never ever a dull moment, except at about 5 am when everyone finally falls asleep, and the officers are doing their reports.

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger Libby said…

    alekx..the people who do yoiur kind of work are so dpecuial!

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger Dorko said…

    Oh, darlin' that was VERY cool, indeed!

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger Coffeypot said…

    Thanks for the update. You do have a unique and pressure filled job. Once, when I was in the Navy, I was listening to a fighter jock when he went in. His last words, after fighting the jet for several minuets, were, "Oh, Shit!" No explosion, no sound, just silence. I had to take my head set off for a few seconds until the Chief told me to quit pissing around and get my headset back on. That is the service. But I still hear him sometimes. So, it is a bad day when you lose someone. But we all have to do the job and your people are a lot better off with you on the line. I just hope I never have to talk to you, though.

     
  • At 6:18 PM, Blogger Stephie Says..... said…

    That is awesome that you stay so calm. Great job! I think I would freak out and panic. Sounds like u really help on the other end....

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    Someone should start one of those memes on the topic "I've got nothing to post about." It always ends up that the posts are about something after all...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home